Location: One and one-half miles north of N.H. Route 113, east of North Sandwich Village
This bridge, built in 1869, carries Durgin Road across the Cold River. The first bridge at this site was built to replace a fordslightly upstream. The current bridge is the fourth one on this site; the others was washed away in 1844, 1865, and 1869. The bridge was also a link in the underground slave railroad from Sandwich to North Conway. Milton Graton and his son Arnold repaired and strengthened the structure in 1967-1968 and it was rehabilitated in 1983. Paddleford truss with added arches; 96 feet long.
Location: One-half mile east of Franklin Falls and south of U.S. Route 3
This bridge carries the Boston and Maine Railroad line across the Winnipesaukee River. This unusual bridge, built in 1896, is the only deck-covered railroad bridge left in the United States. It was named Sulphite because of the large amounts of sulfur transported over the rail lines for use by the giant pulp and paper mills nearby. It is also known as the Upside Down Covered Bridge because the railroad track crosses over the top of the structure rather than running through its center. Service over the line was suspended in 1973. Pratt truss; 1280 feet long.
Location: West of N.H. Route 16 at West Ossipee Village on old N.H. Route 125
The first covered bridge on this site, crossing the Bearcamp River, was built in 1820 and rebuilt in 1832. The current bridge dates from the 1870s. A restoration began in November 1982 by Milton Graton and Sons and was completed in August 1983. The sides of the Whittier Bridge were opened as part of the restoration. Paddleford truss with added arches; 132 feet long. The bridge is closed to vehicle traffic.
Squam River Bridge
River StreetAshland, NH, 03217Phone:
Location: On River Street, spanning the Squam River
This covered bridge, built in 1990, replaces a steel and concrete bridge that was condemned by the state. After the condemnation, the state proposed a two-lane steel bridge for this site. The citizens of Ashland, however, voted to fund one-lane covered bridge. The bridge was constructed by Milton Graton and Sons in the traditional style and was dedicated on July 1, 1990. Town lattice truss; 61 feet long.